Friday, July 11, 2008

Pocket Rockets


What we have here is the best hand in the popular variation of poker, Texas Hold'em. These aces have a few names associated with them: pocket aces, pocket rockets, the rockets, and even American Airlines. During pre-flop, this is the most favorable hand to have and when played correctly, it can result in very large winnings. In a sense, these pocket aces can represent opportunity. Although they are merely two pieces of coated cardboard with ink printing, they can certainly also be seen as poker chips or money.

Just as these aces can represent opportunity and wealth, they can easily represent misfortune or despair. Its not as if this hand is unbeatable after all, yet everyone still gives a gasp of disbelief every time pocket rockets lose. Putting wealth and material aside, the picture above also expresses many forms of emotion and raises many questions. Surely, there is an air of anxiety, something that every player feels when they uncover pocket aces. Is the hand in the picture trembling due to this feeling or is the player skilled enough to suppress and hide his emotions? Perhaps the player has a low chip count, and the aces appear as a sign of hope. Or perhaps the flop is already shown and displays unfavorable cards for this player, who can now only tightly grip his aces with hesitation and doubt. There are countless situations that anyone can encounter with these cards, each creating a different view of what the aces might bring.

Being an avid player (or addict might be a better word) of Texas Hold'em, I can understand that the aces are merely a pair, albeit the highest pair one can have. To me, pocket aces represent a warning and reminder that poker is played not only through statistics and chance but also by skill and judgment. These aces tell me to not act too hastily and to not overestimate the value of these cards. Just with any other hand, the outcome of each play can be determined by how the players bet and act. As mentioned before, these aces can represent the road to victory, or the pit of defeat.

6 comments:

Eddy said...

Honestly I'm a big fan of poker even though I just started playing it for several months and i like how you link this with the choice of our next move in poker. It's true that getting a pocket ace isn't everything, there are still other possibilities that could destroy that hand. I think all poker players have one method in hand, "plan for the worst, if I have a good pocket." By doing that, we wil not be hasty in our next move and consider other possibilities.

Parika Bansal said...

I am an avid but really reckless poker player. I play online too. I like how you can turn pocket aces (also called bullets) into such a dilemma. You should also analyze how people deal with 2 7 off suit (worst possible starting hand). I do not know why, but seeing those numbers just make me want to be reckless while most people will just throw them away without hesitation.

Christopher Schaberg said...

This is a great post, with seriousness, humor, and organization. I really like the way that you have written about something that you like—it seems that all too often, people refuse to write about what they like, because they think that writing must involve the tedious or the far away. But you have shown how you can take the 'near' (and immediately present, as your screenshot shows!) and explain it clearly and with precision. Nicely done, Truman.

Bernie said...

Yes, I still have the tickets...I'll bring them to class tomorrow.

It's interesting to see someone actually analyze a person's thought processes when he/she has pocket aces. I occasionally play poker for recreation and I know that, although pocket aces has a fairly high winning percentage, it can also lead to one's demise. I sometimes find myself knowing that my opponent has a better hand after the turn or river card; yet, it is hard to fold pocket rockets. But someone really thinks about it like you do, they are less likely to make a reckless mistake.

Colleen said...

Truman, I wanted to tell you that your "mechanical" view of love was actually quite beautiful. I think you are right. The Cloverfield character's actions were rational because we value love so much. He felt that his life would mean more if he could have that love, even if he died soon after. I think you are more of a romantic than you realize ;)

Calvin Iwan said...

Although pocket rockets are statistically the best hand a person can get, the odds are never correct. I always watch World Series of Poker on television and I have seen countless times where the person with the lower percentage of winning end up beating the other person. Poker is all about how well you bet and play your hand to make your opponent misread your moves.